Paid Health Disparity and Global Health Internship
Application for Fall 2020 internship start date has closed.
Sign up for our newsletter below to learn about future internship opportunities.
We will start accepting applications for Summer 2021 start dates beginning in March 2021 – may accept sooner if needed.
Duration: This is a paid internship with a required duration of 12 months. Must be able to commit for full one year (48 working weeks total); minimum of 38 hours per week is required. You will spend 10.5 to 11 months in the US, and 1 to 1.5 months in Nepal during this internship.
Stipend: Total $20,000 per year paid in two installments – The total stipend amount of $20,000 includes up to $2,000 in travel expenses to go to Nepal for six weeks. First installment (50% of the stipend amount) disbursed after completion of 6 months of internship and related assignments including a fundraiser, the second installment will be disbursed after completion of the 12 month internship and related assignments including the internship time in Nepal.
Activities and experience to be gained: As a BTF Health Disparity and Global Health Intern, you will receive direct mentorship from the co-founders of the Binaytara Foundation, and participate in assessing, developing, and implementing programs and services to minimize health disparities in the United States and Globally. You will gain experience in health disparity research, program planning, grant writing, educational activity planning, database and record keeping, volunteer coordination & leadership skills, communication, collaboration, networking, and other tasks based on your interest and ability.
Activities that you will be involved in include but are not limited to:
- Organizing three major cancer conferences in the US, including a health disparity conference, and one major cancer conference in South Asia.
- Conducting research and writing research articles on health disparities and other global health topics.
- Researching and writing grants, including research grants and program related grants.
- Organizing and supporting various fundraising activities for BTF projects.
Location: Must reside in Washington State, and travel to our project sites as needed. Preference given to individuals who are able to work from our office in Issaquah, WA.
Education: Have completed bachelors degree in health related field within the last 2 years, or expected to complete before starting internship. Other relevant educational qualifications may be considered on an individual basis.
Physical ability: Be able to lift up to 30 pounds when needed.
Technology: Proficient in Microsoft office applications; experience with Adobe InDesign and WordPress preferred.
Internal: Must be self motivated with deep interest in cancer disparity and global health; must be able to work as a team member.
Legal: Must be a US citizen, permanent resident, or a valid F1 visa holder eligible for post-completion Optional Practical Training (OPT) in public health related fields or non-profit management.
Number of positions available: 1
Application deadline: Apply by May 15, 2020 for start date between August 1, 2020 and September 1, 2020.
Application process: Send a cover letter and resume to Tara Shah, Executive Director at the email below: [email protected].
Selection process will include interview, letters of recommendations, and other qualifications review. Please write your desired start date in the cover letter from available start dates above. Start date can be flexible if need be.
Closed Position – Health Equity, Disparity and Cancer Advocacy Project Assistant
This position is no longer open. Follow us on Facebook to learn about new job openings.
The Binaytara Foundation (BTF) is looking for a dynamic, motivated and energetic individual to join its team as the Health Equity, Disparity and Cancer Advocacy Project Assistant to work from its office in Issaquah, WA. This position requires occasional travels to our project sites and conference locations which may include overnight stays.
This is a full-time position requiring 40 hours per week (Mon-Fri) with occasional weekend schedules.
Qualifications – The Binaytara Foundation is an impact focused, fast paced organization led by a team of highly driven board members and aided by a large number of accomplished volunteers and supporters with a strong sense of caring and giving back. We are looking for a team member who has a positive attitude and a caring heart; who is driven by the desire to make a difference and is willing to take action. For someone to be successful in this position, one needs to be highly motivated, organized, focused, efficient and passionate about improving access to care. In addition, the position requires the following qualifications:Complete the Questionnaire
Education – Bachelor’s degree in public health, community health education, communication, or marketing preferred. May consider highly dynamic candidates with other educational qualifications and non-profit work experience.
Skills required – Strong verbal and written English communication skills required. Typing skills without looking at keyboard is a must. Must have a good command of Microsoft office suite, Google Drive, and other commonly used software.
Desired Skills – Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, WordPress, email marketing platforms, and social media marketing skills are desired.
The Health Equity, Disparity and Cancer Advocacy Project Assistant will have the following responsibilities. This list is not all inclusive. The individual will take additional responsibilities based on the need of the organization.
1.) Administrative and record keeping
- Create & maintain database records in appropriate formats as directed by the executive director
- Prepare and file reports including annual reports, financial reports, and project reports
- Handle all forms of organizational communication including responding to emails and telephone inquiries related to projects, communicating with donors, partners, affiliates, board members, vendors, and volunteers on various project related and organization related issues as needed
- Prepare and send e-newsletters, fund-raising campaign emails, and project updates to interested parties and subscribers
- Assist the executive director in designing and implementing social media campaigns and other forms of communications as needed
- Communicate with international partners or other partner organizations and volunteers involved in the BTF’s international project about various aspects of the project
- Co-ordinate & facilitate partner meeting, BTF leadership meeting, and other virtual or on-site meetings as needed.
- Help the executive director implement appropriate impact assessment tools to evaluate effectiveness of projects and activities conducted by the organizations
3.) Volunteer management
- Assist the executive director in recruiting volunteers that includes identifying tasks that can be completed by volunteers, preparing the job description, and posting the volunteer opportunities in various sites including idealist and volunteer match
- Communicate with volunteers about projects, co-ordinate activities to help the volunteer accomplish the assigned tasks, and help the volunteer prepare reports
4.) Community relationships & outreach
- Seek out opportunities to partner with local community organizations and individuals to implement and improve the impact of our projects
- Promote BTF events and projects in the community
5.) Medical conferences & other projects management
- Facilitate venue selection by contacting potential venues, obtaining bids, contracts etc.
- Prepare brochures, flyers, and save the date post cards
- Maintain mailing list and attendee database, mail flyers and brochures to prospective attendees
- Communicate with speakers, attendees, volunteers and other members as needed
- Communicate with CME accreditor, Grant makers, vendors, and sponsors
- Prepare CME application materials,
- Write Medical education grants, prepare reconciliation, maintain appropriate records required by the CME, CE accreditor and grant makers
- Manage conference logistics, speaker travel, and other activities required for the event
- Co-ordinate and communicate with exhibitors/vendors
- Prepare attendee lists, badges, and other program materials
- Prepare reports and reconcile budget & outcome after the conference
- Keep appropriate records of attendees, credit certificates distributed etc
- Assist in the fund-raising activities including grant applications, annual fundraiser gala, online campaigns, and other in-person or event fundraisers as needed.
- Maintaining records and preparing reports related to fundraising activities, individual donations and other cash and in-kind donations.
7.) Website & Technology
- Update and maintain websites, databases, and online contents utilized by the Binaytara Foundation
- Create, implement, and monitor google AdWords campaigns and analytic tools
Complete the pre-interview questionnaire now.